- To furnish the members of business-owning families and the management bodies of their companies the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to meet their responsibilities
- To obtain a basic understanding of the key tools to make management decisions for family businesses
- To develop executives’ global corporate vision with a view to decision-making
- To equip the partners of family businesses and business-owning families with tools enabling them to efficiently manage the business/family relationship
The programme is structured into four areas:
The characteristics of family businesses and business-owning families, and those aspects specific to them, particularly related to emotions, communication, conflict resolution, family protocol, succession, partner agreements, and leadership.
The importance of having a management system based on the Total Quality Model, which contributes value over generations. This area includes analysis of the financial information needed to understand the family business, fiscal optimization, the management of family wealth, and that of investments and divestitures in the family business.
The management bodies of the family business and the business-owning family, such as the family board, shareholders’ meeting, and the Board of Directors, including the obligations, responsibilities and profiles of the members of each of the aforementioned management bodies.
Presidents, CEOs and members of prominent family businesses, such as Osborne, Laboratorios Esteve, Cosentino, Grupo Zriser, Martinavarro, RGIB – Royo Group International Bathroom, Cementos Molins and Mercadona will share their models and experiences with the participants.
The sessions are highly practical and participative.
Attendance and evaluation
In order to obtain a diploma one must attend at least 80% of the classes and successfully complete the final course project.
- Family members who have responsibilities in the management of a company
- Family members who participate in the management of a company, either as members of the board of directors or the family council
- Family members without direct involvement in the management of the family business
- Members of management who participate in the task of harmonising the interests of the business-owning family with the needs of the family business
This program was designed by the EDEM management team in collaboration with:
Garrigues is an international legal and tax services firm that advises its clients regarding business law in the main economic scenarios on the global market. Ever since its founding in 1941 the firm has stood out for its international focus and enterprising nature.
The course will be held at the EDEM’s facilities, located at: Marina de València (Muelle de la Aduana s/n).
Duration and schedule
Six days, totalling 58 hours.
The sessions are grouped into three blocks of two days each: Thursdays and Fridays, separated by two weeks between them. The dates are: October-November; 2018.
Approximately 15 hours of work outside the classroom is also required. The seminars include a lunch-colloquium with the businesspeople/teachers, one of which will feature participation by the University of Valencia’s Family Business Chair, promoted, among others, by the EDEM.
To register, interested parties must fill out the application.
The EDEM will then contact each applicant to continue with the admission and registration process. The number of slots is limited.
Cost of the programme
The cost of the course is 5,400 euros. The price includes all the items related to the course, including the lunch/colloquiums, the welcome cocktail function, and the closing dinner. Participants who belong to the same business-owning family will receive a 15% discount (not combinable with other discounts).